Transforming our World
Because the earth and all life is sacred and being threatened, we feel called to transform both ourselves and the world. Here at EUUC, our Peace & Justice Committee focuses on “striking at the roots.” Read on for information about the main committee. We also have two associated groups, Sno-King Meaningful Movies and the Racial Justice Workgroup.
Peace & Justice Committee
Be present in the world, discerning which issues call us to act to bend the arc of justice toward our vision of a just and sustainable world.
Be present in our community, as leaders and collaborators, to amplify our ability to make changes locally and beyond.
Be present in our congregation, to inspire, energize, and aid in connecting hearts to action.
Who are we?
We are fun, hopeful, committed people who have a vision of a just and sustainable world. We choose work that speaks not just to our own interests, but to interests of the congregation as well. We seek to inspire, educate, and advocate — nurturing fellowship and action within EUUC and beyond. We make a difference. This is difficult work. We are able to continue by offering each other comfort, courage, friendship, and strength through our shared values and mission. We would love to have you join us!
What are we doing?
The most urgent problem to be addressed is the climate crisis, but we cannot make any progress in this or any other justice issue, without also addressing the corruption of our democracy. We focus on these root issues. We also respond to current issues. Learn more of our goals and long history of advocacy, education, and activism.
All are welcome! We usually meet on the third Thursday of the month, at 7 p.m. in Rooms 1 & 2. Check the calendar for our next meeting.
Contact our Co-Chairs
Transforming Our World Events
|10/20/2018||7:30 am - 5:15 pm||NW UU Justice Summit – Evolving for Justice||EUUC-All Rooms|
|10/21/2018||12:15 pm - 1:45 pm||I-1631 (Carbon Fee) - Information and Let's Canvass Together!||EUUC - Room 5|
|10/27/2018||11:00 am - 1:00 pm||Vote! Ballot Information-Sharing - with Donuts||EUUC- Chapman Hall|
|11/10/2018||6:00 pm - 9:30 pm||Meaningful Movies||EUUC- Chapman Hall|
|01/12/2019||6:00 pm - 9:30 pm||Meaningful Movies||EUUC- Chapman Hall|
|03/09/2019||6:00 pm - 9:30 pm||Meaningful Movies||EUUC- Chapman Hall|
|05/11/2019||6:00 pm - 9:30 pm||Meaningful Movies||EUUC- Chapman Hall|
|07/13/2019||6:00 pm - 9:30 pm||Meaningful Movies||EUUC- Chapman Hall|
Transforming Our World News
See also the topics in the menu on the left under “Transforming Our World” for news.
- You Can Help Pass I-1631 and Build a Cleaner Future Together! October 1, 2018 YOU helped EUUC exceed our signature-gathering goal and got I-1631 on the ballot. Thank you! Now it’s time to make sure this initiative passes. As of late September, out-of-state oil companies have put over $20 million into a fund to defeat I-1631. You may have seen their misleading TV ads. So we need lots of people ... Read More
- Justice Sing-Along: Share the Struggle – Share the Camaraderie October 1, 2018 Friday, October 19, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m., Chapman Hall Lift your spirits and join voices in songs of social justice. Bruce Baker will lead this special evening, which opens the NW UU Justice Summit. Feel free to bring instruments and special requests. Read More
- EUUC is hosting the NW UU Justice Summit on October 20! September 26, 2018 EUUC helped launch the NW UU Justice Network, which has been connecting justice-seeking UUs across the region since 2011. We are thrilled to be hosting the annual NW UU Justice Summit again, and invite you to register to attend – as well as, to volunteer! Please help us offer a warm EUUC welcome by volunteering to ... Read More
- Update on I-1631 Carbon Fee on Polluters Initiative July 3, 2018 Perhaps you’ve heard on the news this week that I-1631,the Carbon fee on polluters initiative, has submitted over 350,00 signatures to the Secretary of State. EUUC and other Unitarian Universalist congregations were no small part of that success. We turned in over 2500, and so far the total I’ve calculated from just having heard from ... Read More
- Poor Peoples Campaign A National Call for Moral Revival-ongoing June 25, 2018 The 40 days of march and civil disobedience on Mondays in state capitols and elsewhere was the beginning to organizing and empowering each state to make a difference in the moral practice of our country. EUUC has been at each act of civil disobedience and each march and was represented by members of our ... Read More
- Yes on Initiative 1631 — How You Can Help June 3, 2018 This initiative, developed by a diverse coalition of social justice, environmental, health, youth, business, labor and other groups, will charge fees on sources of greenhouse gas pollutants. That revenue will be used to expand clean energy like wind and solar and to support a just transition to clean energy for marginalized communities. Signature-gathering has started and will ... Read More
- Poor Peoples Campaign June 3, 2018 Cecila Kingman forwarded a very inspiring YouTube video posted by Nick Maxwell from the Poor People’s Campaign. ( If you want to avoid auto-playing succeeding YouTube videos, scroll down till you see the blue autoplay button and simply move it to the left.) Read More
- Poor People’s Campaign Week 1 May 25, 2018 On May 14, over 20 people from EUUC participated in the Poor People’s Campaign in Olympia, WA. Read More
- Poor People’s Campaign Week 2 May 25, 2018 The focus of the May 21 gathering was “Ending Systemic Racism and Voter Supression.” Read More