Transforming our World
Because the earth and all life is sacred and being threatened, we feel called to transform both ourselves and the world. Here at EUUC, our Peace & Justice Committee focuses on “striking at the roots.” Read on for information about the main committee. We also have two associated groups, Sno-King Meaningful Movies and the Racial Justice Workgroup.
Peace & Justice Committee
Be present in the world, discerning which issues call us to act to bend the arc of justice toward our vision of a just and sustainable world.
Be present in our community, as leaders and collaborators, to amplify our ability to make changes locally and beyond.
Be present in our congregation, to inspire, energize, and aid in connecting hearts to action.
Who are we?
We are fun, hopeful, committed people who have a vision of a just and sustainable world. We choose work that speaks not just to our own interests, but to interests of the congregation as well. We seek to inspire, educate, and advocate — nurturing fellowship and action within EUUC and beyond. We make a difference. This is difficult work. We are able to continue by offering each other comfort, courage, friendship, and strength through our shared values and mission. We would love to have you join us!
What are we doing?
The most urgent problem to be addressed is the climate crisis, but we cannot make any progress in this or any other justice issue, without also addressing the corruption of our democracy. We focus on these root issues. We also respond to current issues. Learn more of our goals and long history of advocacy, education, and activism.
All are welcome! We usually meet on the third Thursday of the month, at 7 p.m. in Rooms 1 & 2. Check the calendar for our next meeting.
Contact our Co-Chairs
Transforming Our World Events
|03/09/2019||6:00 pm - 9:30 pm||Meaningful Movies||EUUC- Chapman Hall|
|05/11/2019||6:00 pm - 9:30 pm||Meaningful Movies||EUUC- Chapman Hall|
|07/13/2019||6:00 pm - 9:30 pm||Meaningful Movies||EUUC- Chapman Hall|
Transforming Our World News
See also the topics in the menu on the left under “Transforming Our World” for news.
- EUUC Lobby Room Opens January 27 January 21, 2019 “Easy, fun and effective.” Those are the hopes of the EUUC Peace & Justice Committee as they open a place where EUUC members can make their justice voices heard in the halls of Olympia, city hall and more. How does it Work? P & J members will have: Postcards, pens, colors and other supplies Addresses of key office holders Names of ... Read More
- Time to Make Our Values Heard in Olympia December 28, 2018 The Washington State Legislature gets to work on January 14th and so should we. This legislative session is a long one. It promises to have many progressive bills introduced. Our job is to know what is happening and let our legislators hear from us often about our priorities. EUUC has three powerful faith based organizations that help ... Read More
- Sunday Offering for November November 7, 2018 ROOTS of South Sudan, the recipient of the Sunday offering for November, is a State of Washington non-proﬁt organization dedicated to supporting the women and children of South Sudan. Although peace between North and South Sudan has been achieved, tribal struggles for power are ongoing and limit people’s ability to move about freely and make a ... Read More
- Talking to Your Friends about I-1631 – Getting the Facts Straight October 23, 2018 From the Field Director of Yes on 1631, the initiative for clean energy and jobs: Friends, We always knew this election was going to be close. All indications say every vote is going to matter. Now that we’ve been inundated by Oil Industry ads for months many of you are having near constant conversations with your friends, family and ... Read More
- Thank You From the NW UU Justice Summit Organizers October 23, 2018 Here is Cecilia’s sermon at the Summit:Listen Dear EUUC members and friends, THANK YOU for hosting the 2018 NW Justice Summit. This Summit saw the launch of the new UU state action network for Washington, called JUUstice Washington. Your friends on the EUUC Summit host team were terrific, from soup, to songs, to sounding the gong. The ... Read More
- Help pass I-1631 Clean Energy and Jobs October 19, 2018 We’re 18 days away from a historic election! In Snohomish County and around Washington State, there are thousands of voters who are confused by big oil’s attack ads but will support Initiative 1631 when they hear the facts from a volunteer. IF we can talk to enough of these voters statewide in the next 18 ... Read More
- You Can Help Pass I-1631 and Build a Cleaner Future Together! October 1, 2018 YOU helped EUUC exceed our signature-gathering goal and got I-1631 on the ballot. Thank you! Now it’s time to make sure this initiative passes. As of late September, out-of-state oil companies have put over $20 million into a fund to defeat I-1631. You may have seen their misleading TV ads. So we need lots of people ... Read More
- Justice Sing-Along: Share the Struggle – Share the Camaraderie October 1, 2018 Friday, October 19, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m., Chapman Hall Lift your spirits and join voices in songs of social justice. Bruce Baker will lead this special evening, which opens the NW UU Justice Summit. Feel free to bring instruments and special requests. Read More
- EUUC is hosting the NW UU Justice Summit on October 20! September 26, 2018 EUUC helped launch the NW UU Justice Network, which has been connecting justice-seeking UUs across the region since 2011. We are thrilled to be hosting the annual NW UU Justice Summit again, and invite you to register to attend – as well as, to volunteer! Please help us offer a warm EUUC welcome by volunteering to ... Read More
- Update on I-1631 Carbon Fee on Polluters Initiative July 3, 2018 Perhaps you’ve heard on the news this week that I-1631,the Carbon fee on polluters initiative, has submitted over 350,00 signatures to the Secretary of State. EUUC and other Unitarian Universalist congregations were no small part of that success. We turned in over 2500, and so far the total I’ve calculated from just having heard from ... Read More