Advocates For Women
Improving the Lives of Women
Advocates for Women has been working toward improving the lives of women for more than a decade! In our work to lift up and advocate for women we focus on:
- Equal rights
- Gender-based violence
- Reproductive and health justice
- Economic and social disparities
The ongoing pandemic coupled with pressing issues of social justice urgently call our attention to the challenges facing women. Now more than ever the full participation and leadership of and by women is essential to addressing local, national, and global disparities and injustices, especially those suffered by women. During the pandemic, a major focus of Advocates for Women will be on the impact of COVID-19 on women.
Meetings For Work and Play
We meet on Zoom each month to plan and reconnect with one another. Our regular meetings are on the first Monday of each month at 7 pm, September through June.
Throughout the year we gather (usually on Zoom) for some fun times together, such as “Whatever Makes You Happy” happy hours and Cafe Connections. Although we don’t have business meetings In July and August, we do have one or two social get-togethers. Community is important to our success!
We seek to help women locally and globally by
- raising money or acquiring products for non-profit organizations which help women (see Fundraising for Women for details)
- raise awareness among ourselves and the congregation about challenges facing women
- advocate for women at the local, state, and national level (see Advocacy and Awareness for more)
To learn about our upcoming events, check out our calendar.
- Afghan refugee women deserve dignityWith the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, refugees began fleeing the country. Those arriving in the United States are starting over and there is a great ...Read more
- Advocates for Women Upcoming EventsCurrent Month(s) September – October 2021 09/06 – Monday, 7-9 pm. A4W Monthly Meeting 09/08-09/12 Kitchen Box collections for Afghan refugees 09/21 – Tuesday, 4-5:30 pm. Cafe Connections / ...Read more
- Problem. Period. part 2Problem. Period. Part 2 of 2 Written by: Vicki Roberts-Gassler | Advocates for Women, News Group In emerging economies, where poverty is even deeper and more widespread ...Read more
- Problem. Period.Problem. Period. Part 1 of 2 Written by: Vicki Roberts-Gassler | Advocates for Women, News Group Menstruation – It affects half the world: How can it be ...Read more
- Sex Trafficking – Alive and Well in the Puget SoundSex trafficking, alas, is alive and well in the US, a century and a half after the Civil War ended slavery, or at least legal ...Read more
- “Finish the Fight” Film DiscussionBlack, Indigenous, Chinese, and Latinx women fought hard to secure women’s right to vote just over 100 years ago. The film, “The Heroes of the ...Read more
- Call it Misogyny! – discussionAdvocates for Women are hosting a discussion on the recent NY Times articles about endemic misogyny in American culture. Fortunately, we are becoming increasingly aware ...Read more
- Lobby Room on the Home Stretch – Take Action Now!Lobby Room is one way that EUUC puts Faith into Action. The Lobby Room group has reviewed 2021 bills, especially those recommended by our allies ...Read more
- Calling it like it is: Misogynistic Male Violence The recent mass shootings in Atlanta, have focused attention on the misogynist motivations involved in many mass and individual acts of violence against women. Violence ...Read more
- UU Women In Action: International Women’s DayAs we observe Women’s History Month, with International Women’s Day celebrated on March 8, today’s Unitarian Universalist women are involved in promoting gender equity in ...Read more
For More Information
Contact: Advocates For Women