Advocates For Women
Improving the Lives of Women
Advocates for Women has been working toward improving the lives of women for more than a decade! In our work to lift up and advocate for women we focus on:
- Equal rights
- Gender-based violence
- Reproductive and health justice
- Economic and social disparities
The ongoing pandemic coupled with pressing issues of social justice urgently call our attention to the challenges facing women. Now more than ever the full participation and leadership of and by women is essential to addressing local, national, and global disparities and injustices, especially those suffered by women. During the pandemic, a major focus of Advocates for Women will be on the impact of COVID-19 on women.
Meetings For Work and Play
We meet on Zoom each month to plan and reconnect with one another. Our regular meetings are on the first Monday of each month at 7 pm, September through June.
Throughout the year we gather (usually on Zoom) for some fun times together, such as “Whatever Makes You Happy” happy hours and Cafe Connections. Although we don’t have business meetings In July and August, we do have one or two social get-togethers. Community is important to our success!
We seek to help women locally and globally by
- raising money or acquiring products for non-profit organizations which help women (see Fundraising for Women for details)
- raise awareness among ourselves and the congregation about challenges facing women
- advocate for women at the local, state, and national level (see Advocacy and Awareness for more)
To learn about our upcoming events, check out our calendar.
- Sex Trafficking – Alive and Well in the Puget SoundSex trafficking, alas, is alive and well in the US, a century and a half after the Civil War ended slavery, or at least legal ...Read more
- “Finish the Fight” Film DiscussionBlack, Indigenous, Chinese, and Latinx women fought hard to secure women’s right to vote just over 100 years ago. The film, “The Heroes of the ...Read more
- Call it Misogyny! – discussionAdvocates for Women are hosting a discussion on the recent NY Times articles about endemic misogyny in American culture. Fortunately, we are becoming increasingly aware ...Read more
- Lobby Room on the Home Stretch – Take Action Now!Lobby Room is one way that EUUC puts Faith into Action. The Lobby Room group has reviewed 2021 bills, especially those recommended by our allies ...Read more
- Calling it like it is: Misogynistic Male Violence The recent mass shootings in Atlanta, have focused attention on the misogynist motivations involved in many mass and individual acts of violence against women. Violence ...Read more
- UU Women In Action: International Women’s DayAs we observe Women’s History Month, with International Women’s Day celebrated on March 8, today’s Unitarian Universalist women are involved in promoting gender equity in ...Read more
- What’s happening in the Lobby Room? Party Feb. 15 and prizes!The Lobby Room is one way that EUUC puts Faith into Action. The Lobby Room group has reviewed 2021 bills, especially those recommended by our ...Read more
- Obstetric Fistula: Life as an OutcastWritten by: Jinwon Kim The term Obstetric fistula is unfamiliar to many in the USA. During a prolonged, obstructed labor an opening can develop in the ...Read more
- In America: Child Marriage – A Human Rights AbuseWritten by: Ingrid Naumann Some 248,000 children as young as 12 were married in the U.S. between 2000 and 2010. Actual data from 38 states showed more ...Read more
- A4W Book Discussion: Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth, by Sarah Smarsh – Feb 11th at 3pmPlease join Advocates for Women for a Book Discussion – Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth, by ...Read more
For More Information
Contact: Advocates For Women