Advocates For Women
Improving the Lives of Women
Advocates for Women has been working toward improving the lives of women for more than a decade! In our work to lift up and advocate for women we focus on:
- Equal rights
- Gender-based violence
- Reproductive and health justice
- Economic and social disparities
The ongoing pandemic coupled with pressing issues of social justice urgently call our attention to the challenges facing women. Now more than ever the full participation and leadership of and by women is essential to addressing local, national, and global disparities and injustices, especially those suffered by women. During the pandemic, a major focus of Advocates for Women will be on the impact of COVID-19 on women.
Meetings For Work and Play
We meet on Zoom each month to plan and reconnect with one another. Our regular meetings are on the first Monday of each month at 7 pm, September through June.
Throughout the year we gather (usually on Zoom) for some fun times together, such as “Whatever Makes You Happy” happy hours and Cafe Connections. Although we don’t have business meetings In July and August, we do have one or two social get-togethers. Community is important to our success!
We seek to help women locally and globally by
- raising money or acquiring products for non-profit organizations which help women (see Fundraising for Women for details)
- raise awareness among ourselves and the congregation about challenges facing women
- advocate for women at the local, state, and national level (see Advocacy and Awareness for more)
To learn about our upcoming events, check out our calendar.
- White Privilege in Hair Care?Your generosity brought in $500 during this fundraiser to purchase hair care products for women of color. Thank you to all who gave! We are ...Read more
- Sex Ed Referendum 90 Passes! Thanks all!Thanks to all who helped secure the rights of all children to have access to comprehensive sex education in all school districts in Washington. We ...Read more
- Advocates for Women – Work to GOTVThank you to everyone who took part in Advocates for Women GOTV letter writing event! A4W wrote 420 letters encouraging under-represented groups to vote.Read more
- A4W Book Discussion: Red at the Bone – Wed., Oct 21st, 7pmPlease join us on Wednesday, Oct 21st at 7pm as we discuss the short novel Red at the Bone. Contact us at email@example.com to get added ...Read more
- GOTV Bring your own letter/postcard – Sept. 24Any and all are invited to write GOTV letters and postcards together on Thursday, Sept. 24, 2:00-3:30 pm. It’s definitely more fun with like-minded folks! ...Read more
- RBG: We mourn and then we actWe are bereft at the loss of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a brilliant woman whose career in law helped bring justice to women, the disabled, immigrants, ...Read more
- We endorse “Approve Referendum 90” to guarantee access to sex education in public schools – November election!!What is Referendum 90? The Social Justice Council and Advocates for Women voted in early September to endorse “Approve Referendum 90” and EUUC has now formally ...Read more
- A4W invite you to our “Get out the Vote Letter Writing Party” – Sept. 20, 2020Please join us from 2:00-3:30 pm on Sunday Sept. 20 for our virtual Get Out The Vote letter writing party encouraging registered voters in swing ...Read more
- American Experience Discussion: The Vote – July 13, 2020You are invited to join Advocates for Women in a discussion of “The Vote”, a 2 part series on American Experience, PBS, about the history ...Read more
- Book discussion: Shrill, by Lindy West – June 2020Please join us for this four part discussion of “Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman”, by Lindy West. Lindy is not small, quiet or compliant. ...Read more
For More Information
Contact: Advocates For Women