Advocates For Women
Advocates For Women has been working toward improving the lives of women for more than a decade!
The ongoing pandemic, coupled with pressing issues of social justice, urgently call our attention to the challenges facing women. Now more than ever, the full participation and leadership of and by women is essential to addressing local, national, and global issues of disease and health, climate and sustainability, and justice for all. We believe that partnership among disadvantaged groups, including women, is key to success in achieving the vision of a just and sustainable world. For 2019-2020, our focus will be on the impact of COVID-19 on women.
Issues we focus on include:
|Ending Violence Against Women and Girls||Challenging Beauty Standards|
|Economic Justice||Racial Justice|
|Reproductive Rights||LGBTQ Rights|
Meetings and More
During the pandemic, from September to June we will hold regular business meetings online the first Monday of each month (at 2 pm or 7 pm), as well as additional gatherings, such as a happy hour or coffee time. We also will hold discussions of relevant books and films throughout the year, which will be announced in TWAE and via the website.
During the pandemic we are unable to hold our fundraising benefit dinners for organizations supporting women locally and globally. However, we plan to continue drives to support women in crisis locally. These drives will be announced in TWAE and posted on EUUC News.
Take a look at our Support and Serve Page to see how we support women outside the congregation. Our Educate, Advocate and Celebrate Page covers social gatherings; advocacy at the local, state and national level; and educational events for ourselves and the congregation.
For More Information
Contact: Advocates For Women
- We endorse “Approve Referendum 90” to guarantee access to sex education in public schools!The Social Justice Council and Advocates for Women recently voted to endorse “Approve Referendum 90”. Here’s the background. After a hard-fought battle, in 2020 the Washington State legislature passed the Comprehensive Sexual Health Education Act. This Act requires K-12 public schools to provide age-appropriate, inclusive curricula on human development and reproduction. In addition, the requirements ...Read More
- A4W invite you to our “Get out the Vote Letter Writing Party” – Sept. 20, 2020Please join us from 2:00-3:30 pm on Sunday Sept. 20 for our virtual Get Out The Vote letter writing party encouraging registered voters in swing states that are relatively unlikely to vote. The template letters we will be sending are nearly complete, and only need a sentence or two from you about why you vote, ...Read More
- American Experience Discussion: The Vote – July 13, 2020You are invited to join Advocates for Women in a discussion of “The Vote”, a 2 part series on American Experience, PBS, about the history of the women’s suffrage movement culminating in the ratification of the 19th amendment.Read More
- Book discussion: Shrill, by Lindy West – June 2020Please join us for this four part discussion of “Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman”, by Lindy West. Lindy is not small, quiet or compliant. We will discuss the personal essays of this bold and funny feminist who doesn’t fit the mold.Read More
- Book Discussion: Conversations with RBG – May 2020Advocates for Women invite you to our four weekly discussions of the book: “Conversations with RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Life, Love, Liberty, and Law+, by Jeffrey Rosen. May 2020.Read More
- Feminism for All: Why Patriarchy is Not Just About Men – Jan. 12, 2020Bring your lunch and join us for a discussion of the patriarchal system, how it affects us all, and what we can do to change a system that separates and controls. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an optional article Sunday, January 12th, 12:30 pm in room 1 Please RSVP to A4W@euuc.orgRead More
- Gifts to Peoria Home help women leaving the sex trade – December 2019 Attendees at our Reproductive Justice event donated gift cards for local grocery and variety stores, as well as bus passes. A total of $460 worth of cards were donated to Peoria Home, which has a residential program in Everett for women surviving prostitution.Read More
- Lunch and Learn – Reproductive Justice: US Laws and UU Principles – Dec. 8, 2019Advocates for Women invite you to join us in Chapman Hall after second service on Sunday December 8, where we will learn about legal strategies to defend reproductive rights for all women and how this fight intersects with UU principles. Reproductive justice goes beyond Pro-Choice, including not only abortion rights and access, but also equity ...Read More
- No Longer Sleepless in Seattle – Nov. 2019
- Feminism for All: Is Feminism still Relevant Today? – Nov. 10, 2020‘Feminism’ is often a misunderstood eight letter word. There is a widespread belief in the importance of gender equity, yet a word that describes this belief, ‘Feminism,’ is often inaccurately perceived – and even scary to some! Please drop-in for a discussion on the meaning, and relevance of ‘Feminism’ today, while sharing our own stories ...Read More