Advocates For Women
Improving the Lives of Women
Advocates for Women has been working toward improving the lives of women for more than a decade! In our work to lift up and advocate for women we focus on:
- Equal rights
- Gender-based violence
- Reproductive and health justice
- Economic and social disparities
The ongoing pandemic coupled with pressing issues of social justice urgently call our attention to the challenges facing women. Now more than ever the full participation and leadership of and by women is essential to addressing local, national, and global disparities and injustices, especially those suffered by women. During the pandemic, a major focus of Advocates for Women will be on the impact of COVID-19 on women.
Meetings For Work and Play
We meet on Zoom each month to plan and reconnect with one another. Our regular meetings are on the first Monday of each month at 7 pm, September through June.
Throughout the year we gather (usually on Zoom) for some fun times together, such as “Whatever Makes You Happy” happy hours and Cafe Connections. Although we don’t have business meetings In July and August, we do have one or two social get-togethers. Community is important to our success!
We seek to help women locally and globally by
- raising money or acquiring products for non-profit organizations which help women (see Fundraising for Women for details)
- raise awareness among ourselves and the congregation about challenges facing women
- advocate for women at the local, state, and national level (see Advocacy and Awareness for more)
To learn about our upcoming events, check out our calendar.
- Advocates for Women Statement on Roe v WadeThe Supreme Court has just walked back the rights of over half the people in our country and now women’s bodily autonomy is controlled by ...Read more
- Supreme ─ but No Longer Esteemed ─ CourtFor the first time in its history the Supreme Court is poised to eliminate an existing constitutional right. The court is reducing women’s autonomy as ...Read more
- Abortion is a Human Right“Under international human rights law, everyone has a right to life, a right to health, and a right to be free from violence, discrimination, and ...Read more
- Ukrainians and Midwives of ColorUkrainian refugees and people of color are being helped by your gifts to the Social Justice Pledge funds. Thank you! Advocates for Women sent their ...Read more
- Lobby Room Wraps up with VictoriesPost-Session Wrap The Lobby Room wrapped up in early March after logging 796 contacts with our state legislators! Many thanks to all who participated. We had ...Read more
- “On Juneteenth” Book DiscussionPlease join Advocates for Women in reading “On Juneteenth” by Annette Gordon-Reed, winner of the Pulitzer Prize. The author, a Harvard professor and a Texas ...Read more
- Advocates for Women Upcoming EventsCurrent Months May and June 2022 5/2 Monday 7-8:30 pm. A4W Monthly Meeting 5/17 Tuesday 11 -12:30 . Café Connections at Third Place Books. We ...Read more
- Women and Climate Change: Victims and ActivistsClimate Change is human-driven but not created equally among Nations. Nor does it affect people equitably: the effects are most felt by those nations that ...Read more
- Ask for Jane – just like grandma didAdvocates for Women invite you to watch Ask for Jane and then join a discussion about the Jane Collective, an organization which helped women get ...Read more
- The Three Mothers – book discussionThe Three Mothers by Anna Malaika Tubbs honors three women who helped shape their sons, each of which became a historically important black man in ...Read more
For More Information
Contact: Advocates For Women