The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process
within our congregations and in society at large.
— 5th UU Principle
Involving People in Democracy
Increasingly, our government ignores the will of the people, making us feel powerless. We believe we can and must speak up! There is hope in people exercising their rights. Some of the ways that we help empower our congregation:
- Offer letters to legislators and public comment opportunities
- Host forums related to initiatives or current issues
- Maintain Legislative Actions email list for those who wish to be alerted to action in the state legislature (sign up by contacting the Peace & Justice co-chairs)
- Attend lobby days in Olympia
- Attend rallies and protests
- Stand up for civil and human rights
- Partner with UU Voices for Justice and Faith Action Network
Corrupting Influence of Money
We cannot make any progress in any social justice issues until we solve the corruption of money in politics. The congregation felt so strongly about this, they passed a Congregational Stand. Examples of related topics:
- Highlighting connections between money and issues such as gun control, climate justice, racial justice, and the war economy
- Revealing dark money connections
- Passing a constitutional amendment to state that money and corporations do not warrant 1st amendment protection
- Voter suppression
- Electoral college reform
- Rising economic and political inequality
Scroll down for current events and news. Read more about past efforts.
To be kept up-to-date on activities and news in our region related to money in politics and corruption of democracy, ask the Peace & Justice co-chairs to add you to the Money Out of Politics email discussion list.
Would you like to help or learn more?
Reviving democracy is one of the main focuses of the Peace & Justice Committee. All are welcome! We usually meet on the third Thursday of the month, at 7 p.m. in Rooms 1 & 2. Check the calendar for our next meeting.
Contact Peace and Justice
- GOTV Bring your own letter/postcard – Sept. 24 September 21, 2020Any and all are invited to write GOTV letters and postcards together on Thursday, Sept. 24, 2:00-3:30 pm. It’s definitely more fun with like-minded folks! Contact a4w@EUUC for the Zoom link and we’ll see you with your pens in hand!Read More
- We endorse “Approve Referendum 90” to guarantee access to sex education in public schools – November election!! September 6, 2020What is Referendum 90? The Social Justice Council and Advocates for Women voted in early September to endorse “Approve Referendum 90” and EUUC has now formally endorsed it as well. Here’s the background. After a hard-fought battle, in 2020 the Washington State legislature passed the Comprehensive Sexual Health Education Act. This Act requires K-12 public schools ...Read More
- A4W invite you to our “Get out the Vote Letter Writing Party” – Sept. 20, 2020 September 1, 2020Please join us from 2:00-3:30 pm on Sunday Sept. 20 for our virtual Get Out The Vote letter writing party encouraging registered voters in swing states that are relatively unlikely to vote. The template letters we will be sending are nearly complete, and only need a sentence or two from you about why you vote, ...Read More
- American Experience Discussion: The Vote – July 13, 2020 September 1, 2020You are invited to join Advocates for Women in a discussion of “The Vote”, a 2 part series on American Experience, PBS, about the history of the women’s suffrage movement culminating in the ratification of the 19th amendment.Read More
- EUUC Lobby Room Opens January 27 January 21, 2019“Easy, fun and effective.” Those are the hopes of the EUUC Peace & Justice Committee as they open a place where EUUC members can make their justice voices heard in the halls of Olympia, city hall and more. How does it Work? P & J members will have: Postcards, pens, colors and other supplies Addresses of key office holders Names of ...Read More
- Talking to Your Friends about I-1631 – Getting the Facts Straight October 23, 2018From the Field Director of Yes on 1631, the initiative for clean energy and jobs: Friends, We always knew this election was going to be close. All indications say every vote is going to matter. Now that we’ve been inundated by Oil Industry ads for months many of you are having near constant conversations with your friends, family and ...Read More
- Thank You From the NW UU Justice Summit Organizers October 23, 2018Here is Cecilia’s sermon at the Summit:Listen Dear EUUC members and friends, THANK YOU for hosting the 2018 NW Justice Summit. This Summit saw the launch of the new UU state action network for Washington, called JUUstice Washington. Your friends on the EUUC Summit host team were terrific, from soup, to songs, to sounding the gong. The ...Read More
- Help pass I-1631 Clean Energy and Jobs October 19, 2018We’re 18 days away from a historic election! In Snohomish County and around Washington State, there are thousands of voters who are confused by big oil’s attack ads but will support Initiative 1631 when they hear the facts from a volunteer. IF we can talk to enough of these voters statewide in the next 18 ...Read More
- EUUC is hosting the NW UU Justice Summit on October 20! September 26, 2018EUUC helped launch the NW UU Justice Network, which has been connecting justice-seeking UUs across the region since 2011. We are thrilled to be hosting the annual NW UU Justice Summit again, and invite you to register to attend – as well as, to volunteer! Please help us offer a warm EUUC welcome by volunteering to ...Read More