The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process
within our congregations and in society at large.
— 5th UU Principle
Involving People in Democracy
Increasingly, our government ignores the will of the people, making us feel powerless. We believe we can and must speak up! There is hope in people exercising their rights. Some of the ways that we help empower our congregation:
- Offer letters to legislators and public comment opportunities
- Host forums related to initiatives or current issues
- Maintain Legislative Actions email list for those who wish to be alerted to action in the state legislature (sign up by contacting the Peace & Justice co-chairs)
- Attend lobby days in Olympia
- Attend rallies and protests
- Stand up for civil and human rights
- Partner with UU Voices for Justice and Faith Action Network
Corrupting Influence of Money
We cannot make any progress in any social justice issues until we solve the corruption of money in politics. The congregation felt so strongly about this, they passed a Congregational Stand. Examples of related topics:
- Highlighting connections between money and issues such as gun control, climate justice, racial justice, and the war economy
- Revealing dark money connections
- Passing a constitutional amendment to state that money and corporations do not warrant 1st amendment protection
- Voter suppression
- Electoral college reform
- Rising economic and political inequality
Scroll down for current events and news. Read more about past efforts.
To be kept up-to-date on activities and news in our region related to money in politics and corruption of democracy, ask the Peace & Justice co-chairs to add you to the Money Out of Politics email discussion list.
Would you like to help or learn more?
Reviving democracy is one of the main focuses of the Peace & Justice Committee. All are welcome! We usually meet on the third Thursday of the month, at 7 p.m. in Rooms 1 & 2. Check the calendar for our next meeting.
Contact Peace and Justice
|10/20/2018||7:30 am - 5:15 pm||NW UU Justice Summit – Evolving for Justice||EUUC-All Rooms|
- EUUC is hosting the NW UU Justice Summit on October 20! September 26, 2018 EUUC helped launch the NW UU Justice Network, which has been connecting justice-seeking UUs across the region since 2011. We are thrilled to be hosting the annual NW UU Justice Summit again, and invite you to register to attend – as well as, to volunteer! Please help us offer a warm EUUC welcome by volunteering to ... Read More about This week