Peace & Justice
Because the earth and all life is sacred and being threatened, we feel called to transform both ourselves and the world. Here at EUUC, our Peace & Justice Committee focuses on “striking at the roots.” Read on for information about the main committee. We also have two associated groups, Sno-King Meaningful Movies and the Racial Justice Workgroup.
Peace & Justice Committee
Be present in the world, discerning which issues call us to act to bend the arc of justice toward our vision of a just and sustainable world.
Be present in our community, as leaders and collaborators, to amplify our ability to make changes locally and beyond.
Be present in our congregation, to inspire, energize, and aid in connecting hearts to action.
Who are we?
We are fun, hopeful, committed people who have a vision of a just and sustainable world. We choose work that speaks not just to our own interests, but to interests of the congregation as well. We seek to inspire, educate, and advocate — nurturing fellowship and action within EUUC and beyond. We make a difference. This is difficult work. We are able to continue by offering each other comfort, courage, friendship, and strength through our shared values and mission. We would love to have you join us!
What are we doing?
The most urgent problem to be addressed is the climate crisis, but we cannot make any progress in this or any other justice issue, without also addressing the corruption of our democracy. We focus on these root issues. We also respond to current issues. Learn more of our goals and long history of advocacy, education, and activism.
All are welcome! We usually meet on the third Thursday of the month, at 6:30 p.m. in Rooms 1 & 2. Check the calendar for our next meeting.
Contact our Co-Chairs
Transforming Our World Events
Transforming Our World News
See also the topics in the menu on the left under “Transforming Our World” for news.
- Tribal Treaty Rights, Fracked Gas, and Unitarian Universalist Values April 12, 2021Ancestral Waters by Native Daily Network Film Screening & Discussion Wednesday, April 14 5:30pm PT / 8:30pm ET Film 7pm PT / 10pm ET Discussion Register Here You are invited to an online screening of Native Daily Network’s film Ancestral Waters for the Unitarian Universalist (UU) community! This film by Native Daily Network documents the Puyallup Tribe’s fight against the Tacoma LNG fracked gas facility and focuses on disregarded treaty obligations, which the faith ...Read More
- Lobby Room on the Home Stretch – Take Action Now! April 3, 2021Lobby Room is one way that EUUC puts Faith into Action. The Lobby Room group has reviewed 2021 bills, especially those recommended by our allies working for Climate Justice, Racial Justice, and for Women and Families. We’ve selected 12 bills to focus on this year and some of them have now passed both chambers! These ...Read More
- “Finish the Fight” Film Discussion March 1, 2021Black, Indigenous, Chinese, and Latinx women fought hard to secure women’s right to vote just over 100 years ago. The film, “The Heroes of the Suffrage Movement | Finish the Fight” by the NY Times introduces us to tenacious women who were fighting for equality for their communities of color, and took on women’s suffrage ...Read More
- Putting Our Congregational Stands into Action February 8, 2021Did you know that EUUC has bylaws and a policy which outline how we might, as a congregation, take stands on issues we find morally imperative? There are specific procedures about how to introduce a stand, plus 90 days of education, and a secret vote that must be above 75% in order to enact the ...Read More
- What’s happening in the Lobby Room? Party Feb. 15 and prizes! February 7, 2021The Lobby Room is one way that EUUC puts Faith into Action. The Lobby Room group has reviewed 2021 bills, especially those recommended by our allies working for Climate Justice, Racial Justice, and for Women and Families. We’ve selected 12 bills to focus on this year. If you want to review those bills, get some ...Read More
- Take action for Secular Health Care! Join our Jan. 10 letter-writing party! January 7, 2021The Lobby Room is opening early this year with the urgent issue of Catholic doctrine in health care. The final proposal for the merger has been filed with the State and the merger is progressing. Our letters will be aimed at state level action to set guardrails to protect our rights to healthcare. Join us for ...Read More
- THE POWER OF ONE January 2, 2021One person, Rimas Miksys, at NorthSeattleProgressives.org, asked members to write 10 postcards a week to people in North Carolina to register to vote. That request grew to over 100 people handwriting the message as well as addressing the postcards. One person, Gary McCaig, asked people at the EUUC’s Coffee and Politics group if anyone else wanted ...Read More
- The Lobby Room Returns – Info Party Jan. 18! January 2, 2021Many challenges await the 2021 state legislature’s 105-day budget session, which starts January 11. The budget deficit looms large. Pandemic restrictions will slow progress. So, we must inform our legislators about our priorities – early and often! Join our Legislative Action Zoom Party Join us Monday, Jan 18, 7-8:30 pm for our first Legislative Action party! Email ...Read More
- We consider the adoption of the Eighth Principle November 17, 2020We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote: journeying toward spiritual wholeness by working to build a diverse multicultural Beloved Community by our actions that accountably dismantle racism and other oppressions in ourselves and our institutions. The Racial Justice Committee of EUUC is supporting the adoption of the 8th Principle. ...Read More
- White Privilege in Hair Care? November 16, 2020Your generosity brought in $500 during this fundraiser to purchase hair care products for women of color. Thank you to all who gave! We are currently purchasing the items and soon we will deliver them to Pathways for Women in Lynnwood. White privilege in hair care Pathways for Women often receives donations of sample shampoos and conditioners, ...Read More